Sunday, May 5, 2013

An Overview: Personal Narrative from SBBErvay

Hello blog patrons.

I am now officially done with this Advanced Media Reporting project. And as glad as I am to say that, it's a bit of a bummer. I can honestly say that this project will forever be one of the coolest things I have done in my school career. Besides being outstandingly cool, it was also considerably fun.

At first thought, this was a daunting task. You mean I have to go out, spend all this time with my subject family - the Gurungs - on top of my part-time job and my other school work? Yes, I had to balance all of that. But I survived, pulled through, and created something I am particularly proud of.

Perhaps the best part of this whole project was the time spent with the Gurungs getting to know them. Yes, I know, that was the purpose of this assignment; but in my case, it was different. I have known the Gurungs for several years now, on a professional level - as I relayed in my first post. Getting to know them on a more personal level was really a neat experience.

I had no idea coming in to this project that, for instance, both Kushal and Reema were avid runners and had participated in several half marathons. I had no clue that Kushal and Reema, in spite of attending the same high school in Nepal, did not meet until they attended the University of Central Oklahoma. It's all these little things that I learned that meant the most to me.

It got me thinking, that in a way, I wish I knew all my parents to this degree at work. To put you in the know, I work for the Liberty School District, at the before-and-after school program, Kid's Zone. The most I tend to know about my parents are their names and workplace...and that's only with a fraction of them.

Aside from these little personal things that came to my attention in the duration of the project was the deep culture of Nepal. Reema and Kushal spared no detail when describing the incredible and colorful culture of their homeland. It was really eye-opening to what goes on in the world around us. I consider myself a pretty worldly guy, I love learning of new cultures and things of that nature. So this project was right up my alley.

One single collective thought on this project: Success. I did enjoy this. I did learn from this. And it did give me a chance to practice my skills at creating multi-media presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment