Thursday, April 4, 2013

An Introduction Post...

Hello patrons of SBBErvay.blogspot.com.
This is a simple site for a project that I, Steven Ervay, am currently delving into.

The project is an in-depth, multi media look into a family of four, the Gurungs, who came to Kansas City from the Himalayan nation of Nepal. This experience is bound together under the all-encompassing theme of how the Gurungs keep Nepali culture alive in the KC suburbs. I will take a look into how Kushal and Reema (father and mother) practice their traditions and why they believe it is important to instill Nepali culture in their children. Furthermore I will spend time with Elaina (daughter) and Kayden (son) - both born in Kansas City - to find out how they feel about Nepali culture.

I came in contact with the Gurungs through my work. I am an employee of the Liberty School District - Kid's Zone Program. The children attend Kid's Zone at my site and I have known them for several years. So naturally, when the discussion of surveying an international subject came up, they were in the front of my mind.

Very few reservations of this project are nagging me. I am comfortable with the family I have chosen. as mentioned, I've known them all for several years on a professional basis. In the scope of this project, I hope to gain a deep insight to the cultural norms and traditions of a country that is far from where I live and what I know. I want to learn what I can, first hand, about life in Nepal.

Check back weekly for features on the Gurung family and how they keep Nepali culture alive and thriving.

-SBBErvay

No comments:

Post a Comment